In Lake Highlands, a Dallas community:
- Over 63% of the students attending Lake Highlands area schools are eligible for free and reduced-cost lunches.
- 40-60% of single moms in some neighborhoods in Lake Highlands live on less than $24,000 a year.
- 87.5% of children in Thurgood Marshall and Skyview Elementaries are on the National Free and Reduced Lunch Programs.
- 26% of children were food insecure, which can lead to increased hyperactivity, aggression, anxiety and mood swings in children.
- 63% of seniors served by a food bank report making choices between paying for food or paying for medical expenses.
- Food insecure seniors are 60% more likely to experience depression and an increased risk for chronic health conditions.
Learn more about Who We Are